St. Matthew Church community has a long history of being in covenant with the Connecticut Department of Children & Families’ Manchester office through the Covenant to Care, “Adopt a Social Worker” program. Kellie Ryan is currently our “adopted” social worker. Through this program, Covenant to Care seeks to assist the social workers to help their families with a variety of needs which could not otherwise be met.
Some of the activities with which Covenant to Care is involved in are:
- Collecting school supplies and backpacks in the fall
- Gathering gifts for families at Christmas
- Assembling Easter Baskets
- Purchasing gift card throughout the year for families with special needs.
- Coordinating requests for items such as furniture and clothing with our parish community’s ability to provide such items.
- Assembling “placement packs” which include such items as toothbrushes, t-shirts, stuffed animals etc., to assist children with the transition to foster care.
All of this could not be done without the assistance of St. Matthaw Parish community and the Religious Education coordinators! The Covenant to Care Committee meets seasonally or as needed. Everyone is welcome to join in our desire to reach out to our brothers and sisters in Christ’s love. For more information, contact the Parish Office.